The CAO application and process has been explained and discussed in career class prior to Christmas and students have had the opportunity to meet us on a one to one to discuss options. Please note the following:
- The discounted application fee (€30) is available up to 20 January at 5.15pm
- Normal closing date for application (€45) is 1st February at 5.15pm
- If students wish to apply for HEAR/DARE/SUSI, they must tick the appropriate box on the CAO application.
- HEAR – Please fill in the HEAR application form on your CAO application
- DARE- Please fill in the DARE Supplementary Information Form on the CAO application.
- Please place CAO course choices in genuine order of preference.
- It is the applicant’s responsibility to complete the CAO application on time and that all supporting documentation regarding HEAR & DARE are sent to CAO before the closing date (March 15). More information on both options can be found here: http://www.cao.ie/index.php?page=accessroutes
- The Guidance Team have put together a comprehensive guide to the CAO application, the best ways to order your course choices and key dates. The Powerpoint can be found here: https://ballinrobecommunityschool.ie/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/CAO-Power-Point-Presentation-2021.pptx
(Higher Education Access Route) is a 3rd level alternative admissions scheme for students, who are underrepresented at Higher Education due to their socio-economic background. If a student is eligible for the maintenance grant, he/she may be eligible to apply for HEAR. Students who qualify may get accepted onto their course on reduced points and get extra support. (Please see link below and pg 10 of the CAO handbook). A recorded information session is available here: http://accesscollege.ie/hear/events-hear/2020/10/15/2021-dare-hear-application-information-day/
(Disability Access Route to Education) This is a 3rd level admissions scheme for students who have a disability, this includes a significant ongoing illness, specific learning difficulty, mental health condition, physical disability etc. They may get accepted through this route on reduced points and get extra support in college. (Please see link below and pg 11 & 12 of the CAO handbook) College that do not provide the DARE scheme, have their own Access Route (see college details for further information). A recorded information session is available here: http://accesscollege.ie/dare/events-dare/2020/12/10/2021-dare-application-information-day/
SUSI (Student Universal Support Ireland)
This is the Maintenance Fee /Grant. Students must tick this box on their CAO application if they wish to apply for SUSI. Please note that this is not an application. This is done directly through SUSI at a later date, usually May.
Please check that your son/daughter has the CAO application complete.
We the Guidance Counsellors are available for a Teams one to one Guidance/Counselling session if your son/daughter so wishes.
If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.
The Guidance Team.